Wednesday 29 January 2014

Henning Mankell reveals cancer diagnosis

Comments

Henning Mankell has revealed in a newspaper column that he has cancer.

The Swedish author, playwright and Left-wing activist is best known for his 12 novels about disillusioned detective, Kurt Wallander, which have been made into a TV series in both his native Sweden, and in Britain, where Kenneth Branagh took the starring role.

Writing in Sweden's Göteborgs-Posten newspaper, Mankell explained that he had visited an orthopaedic surgeon in Stockholm in the New Year, as he believed he had a slipped disc. Doctors instead found tumours in his lung and neck, and fear the disease may have already spread elsewhere.

"When I came back to Gothenburg the next day I did it with a serious cancer diagnosis," Henning wrote. "I have no particular memories of the trip home, except for the indelible gratitude I feel for Eva Bergman, my wife, who was with me."

65-year-old Mankell is now close to starting treatment and has announced that he intends to document his experiences, saying: "Very early I decided to try to write about this, because it is ultimately about the pain and suffering that afflicts so many people

View the Original article

No comments:

Post a Comment